Intended as an introduction to the field, Modern Global Seismology is a complete, self-contained primer on seismology. It features extensive coverage of all related aspects, from observational data through prediction, emphasizing the fundamental theories and physics governing seismic wavesboth natural and anthropogenic. Based on thoroughly class-tested material, the text provides a unique perspective on the earths large-scale internal structure and dynamic processes, particularly earthquake sources, and on the application of theory to the dynamic processes of the earths upper skin.
Authored by two experts in the field of geophysics. this insightful text is designed for the first-year graduate course in seismology. Exploration seismologists will also find it an invaluable resource on topics such as elastic-wave propagation, seismicinstrumentation, and seismogram analysis useful in interpreting their high-resolution images of structure for oil and mineral resource exploration.
• More than 400 illustrations, many from recent research articles, help readers visualize mathematical relationships
• 49 Boxed Features explain advanced topics
• Provides readers with the most in-depth presentation of earthquake physics available
• Contains incisive treatments of seismic waves, waveform evaluation and modeling, and seismotectonics
• Provides quantitative treatment of earthquake source mechanics
• Contains numerous examples of modern broadband seismic recordings
• Fully covers current seismic instruments and networks
• Demonstrates modern waveform inversion methods
• Includes extensive references for further reading