Collection of historical, theoretical and applied articles on the ethical considerations in the treatment of animals by human beings.TOC: 1. Animals in the History of Western Thought.
2. The Nature of Humans and Other Animals.
3. Equal Consideration for Other Animals.
4. Animal Rights.
5. Killing and the Value of Life.
6. The Treatment of Farm Animals.
7. The Treatment of Animals in Science.
8. The Treatment of Wildlife.
An overview of historical and contemporary writings addressing both the nature of nonhuman animals as well as our duties to them. Contains selections from Aristotle, Descartes, Aquinas, and Schweitzer; also, discussions of factory farming and the use of animals in research. No index. Annotation c. Book News, Inc., Portland, OR (booknews.com)