Language Arts: Patterns of Practice has long been a highly valued resource to pre-service teachers. Built on a solid research base, this exceptionally applied and teacher-friendly text addresses all six language arts, modeling their integration into the curriculum through authentic student artifacts, classroom vignettes, and footage of master teachers in their language arts classrooms. The seventh edition of the text, streamlined to provide a succinct, manageable model of language arts instruction, retains the rich classroom orientation, accessible writing style, and numerous features that have been the text’s hallmark, adding a sharpened focus on English Learners, deepened classroom application of the four patterns of practice, and integrated treatment of the almost limitless resources of the Teacher Prep website. These new ideas and revisions have been crafted to help you prepare for, plan for, and implement successful language arts instruction.
Preparing for the Language Arts Classroom
• New!Patterns of Practice features pinpoint the ways to use the four patterns of practice — literature circles, literature focus units, reading and writing workshop, and thematic units — with each chapter’s topic.
• Full color inserts identify the Patterns of Practice — the four instructional approaches most appropriate for integrating the six language arts. The insert details procedures and processes for using each instructional approach.
• Chapter opening vignettes describe how individual teachers usethe different instructional approaches to develop language arts skills. These features set the tone for each chapter, clearly illustrating chapter concepts as they are played out in successful language arts classrooms.
Planning for the Language Arts Classroom
• New! How to Plan for Instruction features throughout the text help you prepare for teaching with three elements. First, a list of concepts, strategies, and topics help you plan meaningful minilessons. Second, a detailed minilesson example models effective instructional practice. Finally, the Teacher Prep connection leads you to one or two video clips on our Teacher Prep website that illustrate a minilesson from the topic list as it plays out in an authentic classroom.
• New!Meeting the Needs of English Learners features help prepare you for the diverse needs of today’s students with concrete advice for providing the instruction each student needs.
Tools for the Language Arts Classroom
• LA Essentials provide guidelines, lists, tools, and resources ready to take right into the classroom.
• Step by Step features provide detailed instructions for preparing and carrying out specific instructional strategies.
• Weaving Assessment into Practice features present authentic artifacts and guidelines for assessing language arts skill development.