Basic Reading Power, Second Edition, by Beatrice S. Mikulecky and Linda Jeffries, is a student-centered reading skills textbook with a process approach to reading improvement. Its unique structure, featuring four key sections used oncurrently, helps beginning-level students (with a vocabulary of 300 words) to become better readers in school, college, or business.
- Reading for Pleasure encourages students to master new reading strategies and broaden their vocabulary.
- Comprehension Skills emphasizes strategic reading skills, such as skimming, making inferences, recognizing topics, and understanding sentences.
- Vocabulary Building offers strategies for learning new words, including personalized vocabulary lists, using context clues, and expanding categories of words.
- Thinking Skills provides targeted practice in inference and analytical skills.
New to the Second Edition:
- A two-color design featuring index tabs for easy navigation
- An expanded Teacher's Guide with sample syllabus
- Updated content, additional readings, and a unit on identifying word parts
Test booklets contain reproducible black line masters to be used as additional practice or to test reading skills presented in the student books.