- A separate chapter on communication, incorporating relevant new material
- Threemore multiculturally diverse students in the Scenario boxes, including a multiracial Hawaiian, a refugee from a war-torn Balkan state, andnow another new American minoritya single Caucasian male
- Scenario Revisited boxes at the end of every chapter in addition to the opening Scenario box. (Some chapters even have three Scenario boxes.)
- Increased focus on the transcending aspects of human nature. So much of psychology has focused on the abnormal and darker aspects of human personality. In order to offset these negative aspects, psychologists, educators, theologians, and philosophers the world over are joining together in a movement to explore what is uplifting and even transcending in human personality. Chice and Change is part of that movement.
- Discussion on the increasing use of humor in both physical and psychological therapies
- Material about the Emotionally Intelligent (EQ) child
- The latest theory on the adolescent brain which may account for the turbulence of the teenage years
A balanced and thought-provoking introduction to psychological theory, research, and applications to everyday life. Coverage includes the psychology of health, interpersonal communication, and levels of consciousness. The tone is readable and often humorous, with "scenario boxes" of simulated classroom discussions and actual responses by seven culturally diverse real-life students. This sixth edition contains new scenario boxes offering perspectives of a multiracial Hawaiian, a refugee, and a single Caucasian male. There is an increased focus on the uplifting aspects of human nature in this edition. The authors are affiliated with NOVA Southeastern University, Santa Fe Community College, and the Gestalt Institute. Annotation c. Book News, Inc., Portland, OR (booknews.com)