The Seventh Edition of Teaching Special Students in General Education Classrooms by Rena B. Lewis and Donald H. Doorlag is uncompromising in its dedication to prepare educators to effectively teach the range of students found in the typical elementary or secondary classroom. Using a case-based approach, the text provides information about four groups of students with special needs: students with disabilities, gifted and talented learners, culturally and linguistically diverse individuals, and students at risk for school failure. In addition, it demonstrates the vast resources we now have available through technology, and presents practical strategies for adapting standard instruction to meet the learning needs of all students in general education classrooms.
- Student Stories. Student Stories are presented at the beginning of each chapter to help the reader frame the content that will follow in the text. A “Looking Ahead” section at the end of each case provides questions to aid in reader comprehension and further reflection.
- Inclusive Classrooms CD-ROM packaged with the text. The video cases depicted on this CD-ROM show teachers engaged with students in various inclusive classroom settings (from pre-school to secondary classrooms) employing strategies featured in the text. Activities that connect the text content to the CD-ROM are available in a special insert, at the ends of chapters, and on the Companion Website.
Technology Integration to Enhance Classroom Teaching and Learning
- Window on the Web. This feature introduces readers to websites that offer valuable information about special education, general education, or the teaching-learning process.
- Spotlight on Technology. These sections feature the most up-to-date software and assistive technology devices recommended for students with special needs.
Practical Teaching Strategies and Opportunities for Application
- Inclusion Tips for the Teacher. These sections answer common questions regarding inclusion practices and offer practical inclusion tips for classroom teachers.
- Application Activities. These activities at the end of each chapter provide valuable opportunities for readers to apply what they have learned in the chapter and take this information to the next level as educators.