The new edition of 50 Literacy Strategies: Step by Step by Gail E. Tompkins is a conveniently organized resource for all elementary and middle school teachers, providing research-based and classroom-tested strategies to develop literacy skills. Everything you need to know to implement each strategy effectively and quickly is included in a consistent, easy-to-understand format.
Each of the strategies outlines:
- Instructional Focus: whether the strategy develops phonemic awareness, phonics, fluency, vocabulary, comprehension, and/or writing
- Grade Level: whether the strategy is appropriate for k-2, 3-5 or 6-8
- Scaffolding English Learners: how the strategy is particularly appropriate, or how it can be adapted to better meet the needs of, English Learners
- Step by Step: as always, clearly outlined steps to implement the strategy
- Why and When to Use the Strategy: headings to determine why each strategy is appropriate and when it’s best to choose each strategy
- Authentic Student Samples: to model the responses strategies will receive from students
The strategies are organized alphabetically and numbered for easy reference. Inside the cover is an index grouping strategies by concept, providing another helpful guide to finding the strategy needed.