Foundations of American Education
L. Dean Webb, Arlene Metha, and K. Forbis Jordan
The Sixth Edition of Foundations of American Education emphasizes the defining topics in education today — a diverse population, an increasingly globalized society, and the impact of standards and assessment on student learning. Explore this text to gain an understanding of how the evolution of education affects today’s teaching and learning in a constantly changing world.
Understand critical topics in education today
• NEW! Reflect on Diversity margin notes — Integrated throughout every chapter, icons highlight diversity coverage and questions encourage you to stop and reflect on the implications of chapter content for diverse learners.
• Chapter 14 Curriculum and Instruction — Now combined, this revised chapter brings the two topics together to emphasize their relationship and to show how curriculum and instruction are interdependent.
• NEW! Chapter 15 Assessment — As an important part of the teaching and learning process, this new chapter highlights the major purposes and types of educational assessment and the role of assessment in standards-based education.
• Chapter 16 Education in a Global Context — This revised chapter focuses on current educational trends including globalization, changing demographics, and the usefulness of educational technology.
Read, think about, and respond tocurrent educational issues
• ABC Newsand Video Insight feature — Five new videos have been added for a total of nine to connect chapter content to current and controversial issues in education.
• Controversial Issue feature — Consider your values and beliefs as you read about and reflect on controversial school issues complete with for and against statements for your consideration.
Reflect on how the past influences education today
• Ask Yourself feature — To help develop a personal philosophy of education, this feature stimulates reflective thought and helps you develop a better understanding of teaching.
• Historical Note feature — Located in every chapter, this feature focuses on specific educational developments resulting in educational change or on individuals who have exerted leadership in education.
• For Your Reflection and Analysis margin notes— Questions encourage you to think critically about chapter content, connect it to your own thinking and beliefs, and consider your responses.
Explore Innovative Learning Technology
Take control of your learning through MyEducationLab, a research-based learning tool that brings teaching in today’s classrooms to life. The MyEducationLab margin notes located throughout the text extend your learning through authentic in-classroom video, student artifacts, and more. The ABC News videos introduced in the book’s Video Insight feature can be found on MyEducationLab. In addition, the Resources section will help you prepare for your licensure exam and your career with tools that include a lesson plan and portfolio builder, sample licensure test questions, and links to the state and national teaching standards.