Building on the best-selling tradition of previous editions, Classical Mythology, 6/e examines the literary tradition of Greek and Roman mythology through extensive translations of original mythological sources. This comprehensive and accessible introduction to classical mythology incorporates a dynamic combination of poetic narratives and enlightening commentary to make classical myths come alive for students. The authors' insightful discussions of classical myths in their historical and cultural settingsas well as their survival in literature, art, music, and filmremain unparalleled.
The sixth edition of Classical Mythology features a host of pedagogical aids, including:
· The authors' helpful student study guide, A Companion to Classical Mythology
· A companion website: http://www.oup-usa.org/sc/0195143388 featuring chapter summaries, short quizzes, maps, additional original translations, links to Perseus and other mythology websites, practice tests, and more!
· Many new translations and a new appendix to Chapter 8 that includes most of Euripides' Hippolytus
· Expanded coverage of comparative and interpretative approaches as well as evidence from art and archaeology
· Copious illustrationsmaps, genealogy charts, and reproductions of paintings and sculpture from 750 B.C. to the presentincluding 22 color plates
· Extended critical coverage
· Quick-Reference Glossary/Index to help students quickly identify names, places, and events