Conducting research can be one of the most fascinatingand intimidatingtasks for students and scholars. A relevant and accessible guide to quantitative research, Quantitative Research Methods for Communication: A Hands-On Approach offers an innovative and insightful look at this complex subject. Drawing on their extensive research and teaching experience in the field of communication, authors Jason S. Wrench, Candice Thomas-Maddox, Virginia Peck Richmond, and James C. McCroskey have compiled their diverse, acclaimed work into one comprehensive volume.
In clear, straightforward language, the authors encourage students to take an active, hands-on role in the learning process, giving them the tools they need to locate, conduct, collect, and present their research. Students are not only introduced to new skills, but they also have the opportunity to immediately apply these skills in research scenarios. Beginning with a brief history of social science research, the text incorporates the following resources:
* An introduction to the fundamentals of communication research, from library skills to basic mathematical concepts
* An examination of the three most common techniques used in communication research: survey, content analysis, and experiment
* A sophisticated analysis of sampling and hypothesis testing
* A step-by-step introduction to statistical tools
* Guided research assignments based on actual data-driven research questions
* In-depth analyses of articles that feature statistical tests
* A guide to presenting research findings, from delivering research papers at conferences to submitting original research for publication
The text integrates rich pedagogical features throughout, including chapter objectives, case studies, data sheets, and lists of key terms. The accompanying CD-ROM offers many helpful tools, including ten articles originally published by the Eastern Communication Association and a Student Workbook. An invaluable resource for gathering and processing information in the twenty-first century, Quantitative Research Methods for Communication equips students with the skillsand confidenceto produce their own cutting-edge research.