In full color, this clear and concise text provides a comprehensive overview of the field and the job skills of certified athletic trainers. To establish a solid foundation, the book covers the evolution of the profession, systems of the body, and the body’s responses to injury. It then moves into more in-depth chapters on diagnosis and management of specific types of injuries, followed by coverage of nutrition, psychology, and pharmacology before concluding with an overview of taping and bracings.
- The domains, core competencies, and proficiencies of athletic training are covered in a holistic way, allowing you to see and study the body in its entirety.
- A full-color format brings out key detail in illustrations and makes the text easier to read.
- Clear, concise, and straightforward writing simplifies complex subject matter.
- Evolution of the Profession chapter provides an illustrated overview of athletic training from its inception.
- Diagnosis and Management chapters cover the diagnosis and management of common sites of athletic injury, presenting information in an easy-to-understand whole-body format that includes the mechanism of injury, signs and symptoms, and immediate and intermediate care.
- Realistic cases accompany the material and address differential diagnosis.
- Opening Scenarios relate material to real-world athletic situations, beginning chapters with a case study and ending chapters with a discussion of its surrounding issues.
- Issues & Ethics boxes focus on the types of situations in which an athletic trainer may be forced to make a difficult decision affecting a team or an individual.
- Summary boxes, tables, and lists make key information easy to find and easy to learn.
- Points to Ponder include questions for further thought and analysis, helping readers apply content to realistic situations.
- Age-related icons appear next to topics in which age plays a role in diagnosis and management.
- Learning Goals begin each chapter by highlighting significant concepts and content objectives.
- Key Terms are bolded and defined near their discussion in the text.
- A Glossary includes all the key terms, plus key anatomical terminology and diagnostic tests and procedures.
- A companion Evolve website offers additional case studies, anatomy videos and labeling exercises, crossword puzzles, practice questions, and research assignments to aid in learning and preparation for examinations.