The Revised Third Edition is updated to reflect the 2005 emergency cardiac care guidelines, and includes an all-new DVD-ROM featuring 64 medical animations that showcase anatomy & physiology and procedures. This book gives you everything you want in a paramedic textbook... and more! Updated, expanded, and packed with valuable new support materials, Mosby's Paramedic Textbook, 3rd Edition, is a comprehensive learning tool for both first-time and refresher paramedic students. Offering complete coverage of the 1998 U.S. D.O.T. National Standard Curriculum (NSC) for the EMT-Paramedic, as well as enhanced content for further learning, this comprehensive textbook contains everything in one convenient volume. Instructor resources are available; please contact your Elsevier sales representative for details.
- Perfect for review, each chapter includes a bulleted Summary and a list of References.
- Chapter openers set the stage for learning with Objectives and Key Terms with definitions.
- Boxed Critical Thinking questions aid in understanding concepts and how chapter content impacts patient care.
- ALS skills are presented step-by-step in full-color to demonstrate emergency care procedures.
- Content is updated to reflect the 2005 emergency cardiac care guidelines. Plus, new content has been added on bird flu, coronary bypass, endocarditis, adult IO infusion, new fluid resuscitation guidelines for trauma patients, drugs of abuse (Vicodin, Oxycontin), management of hypothermia and drowning, prediabetes, and a new airway algorithm.
- The book includes an additional DVD-ROM with 64 medical animations, which showcases anatomy and physiology and procedures.
- Detailed, up-to-date content throughout the text, and all chapters comply with the 1998 U.S. D.O.T. National Standard Curriculum for the EMT-Paramedic.
- Two new chapters! Life Span Development and Bioterrorism and Weapons of Mass Destruction.
- Two expanded chapters! Injury Prevention, and General Principles of Pathophysiology.
- A space-efficient design and reorganized table of contents make this edition more student-friendly and easier to read.
- Approximately 150 new illustrations, primarily photographs, accurately present different techniques and skills and are relevant to the material presented in the text. More than 900 illustrations in all!
- New appendix covers Advance Practice Procedures for the Critical Care Paramedic.
- A new skills DVD-ROM features step-by-step videos of 13 ALS skills and printable National Registry Skills Sheets for practicing required skills.
- RAPID Paramedic pocket guide contains quick reference information useful both in the classroom and in the field. Available separately or as part of a package.
- New herbal appendix for pharmacology chapter.
- An updated emergency drug index in the book provides a quick reference for approximately 60 emergency drugs.
- Mosby's Essential Drugs - available on Evolve with book purchase - is an online database designed specifically for Mosby's Paramedic Textbook, offering instant access to comprehensive, up-to-date information on the drugs that paramedics are most likely to encounter in practice. It includes Generic Drug Name/Trade Name of the medication, Description, Mechanism of Action, Pharmacokinetics, Indications/Dosage, Administration Guideline, Contraindications, Drug Interactions, and Adverse Reactions.
- Money-saving packages are available.
- Completely revised instructor resources make class preparation easier.
This is a comprehensive textbook that covers many areas of prehospital care. It is divided into various sections including the prehospital environment, preparatory text, trauma, medical emergencies, obstetrics and gynecology, neonatal emergencies, and behavioral emergencies. This book, designed as a textbook for the paramedic student, includes a wide variety of information written by experts in each field. Written primarily for paramedic students, the book also provides a good review for current EMT-Ps and RNs entering the field of emergency medicine. The textbook is divided into sections, then chapters. Each chapter is highlighted with specific information for the student to review before reading the chapter. After the chapter is a complete summary of the contents of the chapter. There are many high-quality illustrations and graphs presented in an easy-to-understand format. This is a complete textbook for the EMT-P student. When included in a course with expert lecturers and practical sessions, this should provide a comprehensive course for the EMT-P student.