So much more than just a dictionary…the completely revised, bestselling, trusted Mosby’s Dictionary is the all-in-one reference you need to help you make sense of the complex world of health care. It features superior-quality definitions plus 2,400 full-color illustrationsnearly three times more than any other dictionary available! But that’s only the beginning. Mosby’s Dictionary also includes encyclopedic entries to explain more difficult concepts in depth, 12 appendixes with practical quick-reference information, plus the Mosby’s Medical Spellchecker CD. It’s the ONE reference you’ll turn to from beginning to end!
• Over 51,000 comprehensive, authoritative, high-quality definitions - including definitions for major diseases, disorders, drugs, and proceduresoffer the most accurate, complete information available in all areas of nursing, medicine, and health-related professions.
• Approximately 2,400 color photographs and line drawingsnearly three times more than any other health care dictionaryillustrate all subject areas to help you understand concepts.
• The practical, straightforward alphabetical organization with no subentries and easy-to-use features such as thumb tabs, entry words in color, and large, easy-to-read print make it easy to find and understand information.
• Expanded definitions for selected entries, particularly major diseases, disorders, and procedures, offer detailed information in one spot to help you understand more difficult concepts.
• Hundreds of lab test and surgical procedure definitions explain the purpose, procedures, patient care, and expected outcomes.
• Comprehensive definitions for drugswith over 200 new to this editioninclude indications, contraindications, and adverse effects for safe medication practice.
• Definitions for more than 50 complementary and alternative medical therapies and over 100 herbs familiarize you with options today’s patients may choose.
• Pronunciations and word roots for key entries help you use terminology correctly in everyday practice.
• Includes British spellings for selected entries to help you recognize alternate spellings.
• A Color Atlas of Human Anatomy contains 43 pages of clearly labeled drawings for easy A&P review and reference.
• 12 appendixes offer useful information you’ll turn to again and againwith a quick-reference list of all appendixes in the front of the book.
• A companion EVOLVE website deepens understanding with:
• Over 35,000 audio pronunciations
• A printable version of the Color Atlas of Human Anatomy
• 11 pages discussing complementary and alternative medicine
• A printable English-Spanish phrase book
• 12 pages of herb-drug interactions
• 400 interactive medical terminology review exercises
• An extensive directory of health care organizations and resources
• And much more!
• Approximately 5,000 new definitions, with special emphasis on definitions related to new drugs, anatomy and physiology, surgical procedures, lab tests, and new technological developments, keep you up to date on the latest developments in health care.
• Over 30,000 completely revised definitions and 800 updated illustrations ensure you have the most current information in all areas of nursing, medicine, and the health-related professions.
• UNIQUE! Mosby’s Medical Spellchecker CDincluded with each copy of Mosby’s Dictionarycontains over 450,000 medical terms you can use with your word processing software to save time and ensure accuracy.
• A completely revised section on nursing diagnoses with entries for all NANDA-approved nursing diagnoses, Nursing Interventions Classifications, and Nursing Outcomes Classifications helps prepare you for real-world practice.
Reviewer:Gary T. Rapelje, BAS, RRT(William Beaumont Hospitals)
Description:This is the seventh edition of a comprehensive dictionary that includes 2,450 full color illustrations as well as a valuable appendix of medical measurements, diagnoses, and other pertinent medical values. This edition updates the 2002 edition.
Purpose:The purpose is to provide a one stop source of definitions and information unique to the field of health. Through the updated definitions and research, this dictionary provides a much need medical resource.
Audience:The dictionary is intended for students as well as all practitioners in the medical field. With this seventh edition, Mosby's has continued to show its credibility through the reliability and extensive research that goes into the information provided.
Features:The book covers definitions and pronunciations of medical terms and terminology. It is innovative in its use of high quality full color illustrations to enhance understanding of key terms. The front of the book includes a full color, system by system grouping of illustrations of the human anatomy. The appendixes include a wide range of beneficial reference information.
Assessment:The updated information included in this edition of the dictionary is much needed in a rapidly changing healthcare environment. The many illustrations help to bring understanding to terms where words alone would not suffice. The extent to which the editors went to research and validate all the information shows how this dictionary continues to be one of the most valuable resources for all healthcare professionals.