The updated fourth edition of this comprehensive, highly respected reference covers all you need to know about obstetric anesthesia—from basic science to various anesthesia techniques to complications. The editorial team of leading authorities in the field now features Drs. Linda S. Polley, Lawrence C. Tsen, and Cynthia A. Wong and presents the latest on anesthesia techniques for labor and delivery and medical disorders that occur during pregnancy. This edition features two new chapters and rewritten versions of key chapters such as Epidural and Spinal Analgesia and Anesthesia. And, Expert Consult functionality allows you to access the entire contents of the book online.
• Emphasizes the treatment of the fetus and the mother as separate patients with distinct needs to ensure the application of modern principles of care.
• Delivers contributions from many leaders in the fields of obstetric anesthesia and maternal-fetal medicine from all over the world.
• Offers abundant figures, tables, and boxes that illustrate the step-by-step management of a full range of clinical scenarios.
• Presents key point summaries in each chapter for quick, convenient reference.
• Features new chapters on Patient Safety and Maternal Mortality to address the latest developments in the field and keep you current.
• Presents completely rewritten chapters on Epidural and Spinal Analgesia and Anesthesia, Anesthesia for Cesarean Section, and Hypertension Disorders, updated by new members of the editorial team—Drs. Linda S. Polley, Lawrence C. Tsen, and Cynthia A. Wong, for state-of-the-art coverage of key topics and new insights.
• Covers all the latest guidelines and protocols for safe and effective practice so you can offer your patients the very best.
• Allows you to access the entire contents of the book online, from any internet connection through Expert Consult.
Your purchase entitles you to access the web site until the next edition is published, or until the current edition is no longer offered for sale by Elsevier, whichever occurs first. If the next edition is published less than one year after your purchase, you will be entitled to online access for one year from your date of purchase. Elsevier reserves the right to offer a suitable replacement product (such as a downloadable or CD-ROM-based electronic version) should online access to the web site be discontinued.
This is a superb new text on obstetric anesthesia. It is a complete reference for both novice and experienced practitioners. The book meets all of its objectives by providing a comprehensive review of the topic. The editor targets an audience that includes anesthesiology and obstetric residents, current practitioners, and some specialists within these fields. Dr. Chestnut is a widely published and acknowledged authority on obstetrical anesthesia. Many of the contributors are also well known in the field. Each chapter has many clear and concise tables, illustrations, and graphs that serve to amplify, as well as distill, relevant points in the chapter. Occasionally, protocols dealing with anesthetic management of important issues are all presented in highlighted boxes for quick reference. A unique feature of this book is the inclusion of a summary of key points at the end of each chapter. References are very current and pertinent. The table of contents and index are clear and complete. This is a superb new reference on obstetric anesthesia. The book has many relevant chapters on current topics such as HIV and substance abuse in this patient population. The comprehensive content and the excellent organization of each chapter qualify this text as an excellent reference for all practitioners in the field. I highly recommend it for inclusion in any library.