Emphasizing the clinical application of drugs used in dental treatment, this comprehensive text covers the basic principles of drugs and their actions on the body. Providing a solid understanding of pharmacology content, it helps readers thoroughly evaluate a patient's current medical status and best optimize dental treatment in relation to overall health.
· A new chapter, Introduction to Antinociceptive Drugs, discusses the important topic of pain and provides new information on mechanisms of pain and therapeutic approaches to pain.
· A new chapter on serotonin pharmacology and antimigraine drugs covers the roles of serotonin and the importance of agonist and antagonists at the many serotonin receptors.
· A new chapter on Alternative Medicine in Dentistry provides a current treatment of chemicals used as alternative medicines and an assessment of the potential benefits and risks of a large number of these compounds.
· New information on pharmacogenetics provides the latest findings on how an individual's genetic traits affect his or her responses to drugs.
· The scope of the Non-Opioid Analgesics chapter has been expanded to include non-opioid analgesics, nonsterioidal anti-inflammatory drugs, antirheumatic, and antigout drugs.
· An expanded discussion of the endocrine system provides the most comprehensive coverage on the subject.
· Discussions of drugs have been updated to include the latest drugs and their pharmacology.
· Dental aspects of many drug classes have been expanded to include antibiotics, analgesics, and anesthetics.
· The uses and mechanisms of action of drugs have been linked to the latest information on drug receptors.
· Drug lists have been updated throughout the text to provide the most current information.
· Website addresses have been added where appropriate to provide another avenue of drug information.
· New figures help clarify mechanisms of drug action, in such areas as gastrointestinal drugs, cardiovascular drugs, and endocrine drugs.
· For the first time, every book includes a free six-month subscription to Mosby's Drug Consult. Mosby's Drug Consult provides the most current, unbiased, accurate, and reliable drug information available!