Well-known for its authoritative and comprehensive coverage, complete treatment of pediatric pathophysiology, and the most extensive illustration program in its field, this textbook features expert content on everything from the general principles of pathophysiology to detailed discussions of genetics and specific diseases. Chapters on alteration present the pathophysiology, clinical manifestations, and evaluation and treatment of each disease to help you learn to identify normal anatomy and physiology, as well as alterations of function in adults and in children.
• Unparalleled coverage of disease processes makes this text the most comprehensive pathophysiology text available.
• The largest full-color art program in the field illustrates the clinical manifestations of diseases and disease processes
• Consistent presentations of each disease with pathophysiology, clinical manifestations, and evaluation and treatment help you find the information you need quickly and easily.
• Ten separate pediatric chapters cover the pathophysiologic effects on children.
• Aging content is highlighted throughout the text.
• An Introduction to Pathophysiology section at the beginning of the text provides a solid start to the basics of the study of disease.
• Algorithms and flowcharts of diseases and disorders illustrate the disease process in an easy-to-understand format.
• Nutrition and Disease boxes present evidence-based information on the relationship between health promotion through diet and disease.
• Updated content on leukocytes in pain modulation, seizure disorders, brain injuries and disorders, acute encephalopathies, reproductive disorders, and much more keep you at the cutting edge of this constantly changing field.
• What’s New? boxes highlight the most current research and findings to ensure you have the most up-to-date information.
• New animations, review questions, Key Points, and an audio glossary have been added to the Evolve companion website to strengthen your understanding of key concepts.
• Media Resources Lists encourage you to develop a study plan to master the important content in each chapter.
This third edition textbook is divided into two parts: central concepts related to cells and tissues, and pathophysiologic alterations. Part one gives an in-depth view of cells, genes and common genetic diseases, cell injury, fluid and electrolytes and acid-base balance, immunity, inflammation and wound healing, coping and illness, and oncogenesis. Part two gives a systematic survey of diseases within the systems that includes epidemiology, pathophysiology, clinical manifestations, and treatment modalities. The purpose is to provide an in-depth and current understanding of disease processes across the life span; to link relevant modern biology to a disease state; describe gender differences related to epidemiology and pathophysiology; and to integrate health promotion and disease prevention. Risk factors and nutrition are incorporated. The book is useful for practicing nurses and students in pathophysiology courses. The overall design is very logical. The first section provides a framework for understanding broad concepts such as genetics, cell injury, immunity, and inflammation. The second section examines normal anatomy and physiology, which serve as a basis for understanding common pathophysiology of adults and children. A new feature is "What's New Boxes," which present easy to understand updates in research. This textbook has always been an excellent resource and this new edition adds full color illustrations. There are algorithms that summarize important physiological and pathophysiological mechanisms. Students often indicate that these provide a quick means for review. Full-color photographs of clinical manifestations, specimens, and clinical imaging techniques add tothe text. Case studies are strategically included for each chapter dealing with disease states. New sections on headaches, neurobiology of selected psychiatric conditions, an integrated chapter on multiple interacting systems, and new illustrations make this text even better than previous editions.