Endorsed by the National Student Nurses' Association (NSNA), this practical guide provides nursing students with down-to-earth advice on how to succeed academically, deal with failure, improve on test-taking and report writing skills, and how to build relationships with other students and faculty as they travel through nursing school. In addition, this resource offers statistics on the cost of nursing school, how long it will take to obtain a degree, survival tips from other nursing students, time management strategies, and more. A must-have for every nursing student.
• Provides a light-hearted and practical approach to getting through nursing school.
• Uses an easy to follow "road trip" theme throughout.
• Endorsed by the National Student Nurses' Association (NSNA).
• Offers down-to-earth advice and suggestions for improving time management and test taking skills, forming support and/or study groups and improving oral and written reports.
• Describes effective strategies for dealing with stressful situations such as failure, procrastination, and depression.
• Addresses the challenges faced by returning students such as how to balance school, work, and family obligations.
• Includes appendixes that provide useful information on Resources for NCLEX® Review, Sources of Scholarships and Loans, and U.S., Canadian, and Specialty Nursing Organizations.
• Completely new and improved cartoon illustrations add to the light-hearted personality of the book.
• Now in color to be more visually appealing to the reader.
• Updated content throughout, including: statistics on college tuition, valuable facts about tuition reimbursements, employment rates, and salaries and benefits, including the latest statistics.
• Alternate Routes chapter has been updated to include the various degree paths a student can take within nursing school.
• Discusses the changes on the NCLEX® examination along with tips for individual and group study.
• Includes information on the technological advances in nursing schools including online courses.
Reviewer:Bonnie L. Saucier, PhD, RN(Indiana State University)
Description:This is the fourth edition of a classic book describing typical student nursing experiences in a candid, humorous way. This is a unique method for discussing a tough trip with navigational points along the way. The last edition was published in 1995.
Purpose:The purpose is to provide a good road map through the journey of nursing. This unique tour guide gives the reader tips before starting the journey, plots the course, and prepares the traveler for the trip itself. It helps to keep the goal of nursing in sight at all times. This book is a much needed reference for the beginning nursing student. The positive, upbeat approach allows the reader to accomplish the author's objectives in a light-hearted and comical way.
Audience:This book is written for the incoming nursing student, particularlly for the "mature" student who is over 20 years of age. It is also a wonderful guide for nurses returning for advanced degrees and experienced students from other fields making a career switch into nursing. The author has the extensive background and experience needed to make this a truly classic tour guide to nursing school
Features:This edition is an all new update with two new chapters. Chapter 1, "Ticket to Ride" provides the student with a unique sales pitch for the nursing profession. Chapter 22, "Hot Wired" teaches the student how to learn to use the Internet and to find the best Web sites. Information is provided for everything from boosting test scores to conducting study groups, overcoming procrastination and avoiding collisions in personal and professional lifes. Examples and ideas are given from other nursing students. This a collaborative effort with Mosby, National Student Nurses Association (NSNA) and the author. Input comes from nursing students and nurses from all over the United States and Canada. Appendixes cover a wide variety of much needed information and an inclusive index is provided. Cartoons are dispersed throughout, adding to the humorous intent.
Assessment:This book exemplifies a unique approach and offers the reader a light and uplifting version of a tour through nursing. It has a refreshing perspective, gives valuable information, and keeps the student alert and alive until the end.