Leading and Managing in Nursing, 5th Edition, by Patricia Yoder-Wise, successfully blends evidence-based guidelines with practical application. The new edition is designed to prepare you for the nursing leadership issues of today and tomorrow, providing just the right amount of information to equip you with the tools you need to succeed on the NCLEX and in practice. This thoroughly updated edition is organized around the issues that are central to the success of professional nurses in today’s constantly changing healthcare environment, including patient safety, workplace violence, consumer relationships, cultural diversity, resource management, and many more.
• Merges theory, research, and practical application for an innovative approach to nursing leadership and management.
• Offers a practical, evidence-based approach to today's key issues, including patient safety, workplace violence, team collaboration, delegation, managing quality and risk, staff education, supervision, and managing costs and budgets.
• Features easy-to-find boxes, a full-color design, and new photos that highlight key information for quick reference and effective study.
• Research and Literature Perspective boxes summarize timely articles of interest, helping you apply current research to evidence-based practice.
• Includes critical thinking questions in every chapter, challenging you to think critically about chapter concepts and apply them to real-life situations.
• Provides Chapter Checklists for a quick review and study guide to the key ideas in each chapter, theory boxes with pertinent theoretical concepts, a glossary of key terms and definitions, and bulleted lists for applying key content to practice.
• Features new chapters on Patient Safety and Workplace Violence, illustrating the nurse manager’s role in ensuring patient and worker safety.
• Includes Need to Know Now, bulleted lists of critical points that help you focus on essential research-based information in your transition to the workforce.
• Gives current research examples in The Evidence boxes at the end of each chapter, illustrating how to apply research to practice.
• Provides casrevised Challenge and Solutions case scenarios of real-life leadership and management issues, giving you contemporary scenarios covering current issues in nursing leadership and management.
This book contains content usually covered in leadership and management texts. The prior edition of the text was published in 1995. The purpose of the text from the editorr's point of view is to " . . .fill a need for a text that focuses on the nursing leadership and management issues of today and tomorrow in a totally new way." This book is definitely needed and most certainly meets the authors' objectives. The main audience, as stated by the editor, is the baccalaureate level nursing student. The editor is well-credentialed. In addition to content areas usually incorporated into leadership and management texts, this book also includes chapters on consumer relations and cultural diversity in the workplace. It includes many items to assist in student learning, including an extensive glossary, research and literature perspectives, theory boxes, manager's challenges, highlighted areas for important content, chapter objectives, and checklists. Color is used throughout to identify many of these areas. Inclusion of a student workbook with this text is a major positive addition to the prior edition. The workbook contains individual and group exercises that should help encourage student interaction. Videotapes and an instructor's resource manual are also available. No obvious shortcomings were noted. This is an excellent text, which is vastly improved over the prior edition. There are many strong graphic and organizational techniques that should stimulate student interest and learning. This text should definitely facilitate student learning more than other texts available that cover much the same material.