In this straight-talking guide, MBA Elizabeth Freedman—an expert in corporate etiquette—shares the rules of the workplace that only veterans know: survival secrets that will help you avoid the common mistakes that can sink careers at the gate. From getting a seat at the meeting table to dealing with a demanding boss, from talking salary in a performance review to what not to say at a business function, Work 101 tells you everything you need to know to master the (shameless) art of climbing the corporate ladder.
• Manage the manager—how to survive any type of boss, including the Boss from Hell
• Master the art of introduction—have them at hello!
• Create winning e-mails that actually get read—and tips for avoiding on-screen blunders and other career-ending disasters
• How to handle a “cube invader”
• What not to order, wear, or say at a business lunch
• The real rules for dressing business casual—what to wear and when
• How not to be clueless about promotions and (bigger) bonuses
• The five steps to employee-boss success—including the top-ten things to listen to and observe
• How to avoid burning your bridges (and other great exit strategies)…and much, much more!