In Pragmatics, the study of meaning derived from context, Jean Stilwell Peccei offers a practical introduction to this core area of linguistics. Pragmatics:
- encourages the reader to look at different levels of meaning within sentences
- provides a basic understanding of key pragmatic concepts
- introduces two highly influential approaches to pragmatics: the Co-Operative Principle and Speech Act Theory
- encourages the reader to apply basic analytical tools to real data, eg. advertising language and children's conversations
- provides a range of activities, discussion questions, an answer key and further reading.