- provides a comprehensive introduction to sociolinguistics
- draws on a range of real texts, from an interview with Madonna to the Japanese Asahi Evening News
- uses real studies designed and conducted by students
- provides key readings with commentaries from works by major internationally known authors such as Norman Fairclough, Deborah Cameron, Braj Kachru, Jennifer Coates, Mark Sebba, and Malcolm Coulthard
- is accompanied by a supporting website.
New to this edition:
- an entire new section on forensic linguistics
- additional material on language and gender, conversation analysis and spoken discourse
- comprehensively updated exercises, readings and references.
The accompanying website to this book can be found at: www.routledge.com/textbooks/9780415401272.
This textbook is enormously enabling. Not only does it comprehensively provide the basic theory and method at the right level, but beginners have the means and the models so that they can get their "hands dirty" with real data and real problems in doing Sociolinguistics.