· "This is the best organized, concise, clear classroom book that I have encountered for this type of course." --Cleveland State University
· "Well-written, lots of detail, helpful side-bar material and fine maps. Miller and Shahriari write with admirable authority and enthusiasm." --Texas Christian University
· "Treats the student readers as intelligent beings with wide-ranging intellectual interests." --New York University
· Includes 2 audio CDs of examples
· Two color throughout with two four-color inserts; original photos and maps
World Music: A Global Journey introduces students to the diversity of musical expression around the world. Written for those with no background in music notation or theory, the book is modeled on a series of guided trips around the musical world. Written in layperson's language, with ample illustrations including maps, photographs, and musical examples, this book introduces an entire world of music to students. For those taking a single semester survey course, the professor can choose to select areas highlighted in the text; others taking a more comprehensive two-semester course will find ample material here for an entire year of study.
Beyond its engaging text, the book is two color throughout with two four color inserts. There are many photographs-taken by the authors and other leading ethnomusicologists-illustrating musicians, places, musical instruments, and performances. The design includes icons that make finding definitions, key examples, and related text easy. The book is packaged with three CDs, giving full versions of many of the musical examples highlighted in the text.
The text has been thoroughly reviewed and classroom tested in the US and abroad, and the authors have incorporated many features based on these reviews. World Music: A Global Journey sets a new standard for introductory texts in ethnomusicology/world music.
A supporting website, including photos, audio-clips and additional resources can be found at www.routledge-ny.com/textbooks/worldmusic.
INCLUDES TWO CDs Two color throughout; two 4-color inserts