Want to guarantee that students are learning rich vocabulary all day, everyday—and, by doing this, improving their reading and writing? In this lively, research-based book, based on successful classroom practice, the authors offer dozens of strategies, mini-lessons, units , and activities that increase students' exposure to and appreciation of sophisticated language.
A sampling of the vocabulary-focused strategies and tools include:
* Using daily read alouds and think alouds during shared reading to gather powerful language from literature
* Organizing literature circles with one student serving as the ""word hunter""
* Engaging in whole class and small group lively games such as gift of words bingo and ricochet
* Using mentor texts as models for writing class books
* Appointing all students to be ""word catchers"" and ""word coaches"" for each other
* Establishing a classroom community where it is considered normal to ask about word meanings and experimenting with language
* Collecting and displaying words in the ""Bank of Powerful Language""
* Offering rubrics for word learning assessment
In addition, the authors offer lively ways to enhance word consciousness by linking reading and writing through step-by-step units on poetry, memoir, stories, and research writing. For use with Grades 2–6.