A richly illustrated, clinically oriented textbook with well-balanced coverage of both neurophysiology and neuroanatomy provides all the knowledge you need for Board exam preparation and practice! This 3rd Edition offers meticulous updates from cover to cover ... a new, more user-friendly page layout ... 300 USMLE-style review questions, with answers and rationales ... and access to the entire text online, plus many other features, at www.studentconsult.com.
- Features author Duane E Haines, Recipient of the 2008 Henry Gray/Elsevier Distinguished Educator Award - the American Association of Anatomists' highest award for excellence in human anatomy education at the medical/dental, graduate, and undergraduate levels of teaching.
- Provides thorough explanations of cellular biology, neuron structure and function, vascular anatomy, neuronal communication, and the embryological development of the nervous system.
- Presents in-depth discussions of human regional neuroanatomy and systems neurobiology, providing a rich understanding of the function of the human brain and spinal cord.
- Uses abundant full-color illustrations, plus clinical and histological photographs, to make neuroanatomy easy to visualize.
- Presents numerous diagnostic imaging examples—including outstanding MR and CT imaging studies—to provide radiological correlations for various neuroanatomical structures.
- Features information based primarily on data obtained from human studies, rather than animal ones, to keep coverage relevant to clinical practice.
- Offers meticulous updates throughout to reflect all of the latest developments in neuroscience.
- Provides a new, more user-friendly page layout.
- Contains 300 new USMLE-style review questions, with answers and rationales.
- Delivers a new online feature that lets you quiz yourself on every illustration from the text by turning the anatomical labels on and off as desired. You'll also find 200 review questions from Dr. Haines's Review of Neuroscience book.
- Includes access to www.studentconsult.com — where you'll find the complete text and illustrations of the book online, fully searchable · "Integration Links" to bonus content in other STUDENT CONSULT titles · content clipping for handheld devices · an interactive community center with a wealth of additional resources · and much more!
Doody Review Services
Reviewer:Celso Agner, MD, MSc(University of Illinois at Chicago College of Medicine)
Description:Since the publication of the second edition of this book, extensive translational research has been done to support current clinical standards of care. This new edition, therefore, is welcomed by those in the field of neuroscience.
Purpose:The purpose is to update students and neuroscience professionals on advances in the neurological sciences and how recent discoveries affect clinical practice. These valuable objectives are fully met by the authors.
Audience:Neurologists, neurosurgeons, researchers, and medical students are the main audience.
Features:Similar to the previous editions, this book contains basic information on cellular systems, pathways, and circuits in the brain and spinal cord. In contrast to the previous edition, though, there is broader information on the current biological understanding of the central nervous system and how mechanisms of transfer of information are affected. The inclusion of a password to web site allows readers to access continuous updates.
Assessment:This is a good quality book that deserves a position in neuroscience and neurology libraries.