The culinary professional’s foundational guide to nutrition and healthful eating
With increased consumer awareness of healthy eating, chefs and restaurateurs are expected to provide healthy offerings to their customers. Expanded in size as well as content, the Seventh Edition of Nutrition for Foodservice and Culinary Professionals continues to fulfill its reputation as the essential reference to nutrition and foods for culinary students and professionals.
This practical book is tailored to the needs of culinary and hospitality students and professional who need to use nutritional principles to evaluate and modify menus and recipes, as well as to respond knowledgeably to customers' questions and needs. It introduces the reader to nutrition and foods including using the Dietary Guidelines, MyPyramid, and food labels to plan menus; provides advice on how to develop healthy recipes and menus; relates nutrition to health problems such as obesity and heart disease; and discusses how to address nutrition concerns from pregnant mothers to the elderly.
Even more user-friendly and up-to-date than previously, this Seventh Edition’s noteworthy updates include:
- A new, interactive diet and activity software program called Culinary Nutrition Manager that enables readers to create, modify and analyze the nutritional content of recipes as well as analyze their own diets
- New, visual design that allows for additional photos, drawings, menus, and tables to more effectively convey nutrition concepts and applications
- Two new features, Nutrition Science Focus and Culinary Science, that provide the reader with additional nutritional science information
- Discussion of current issues related to childhood obesity, the impact of diet on the environment, organic foods, superfoods, botanicals, and herbs
- In-depth information on relevant food-related topics such as trans fats, beverage choices, food allergies, and new sugar substitutes
- Expanded coverage on carbohydrates include the glycemic response and its relationship to health issues
- Balanced menu items, recipes, and Chef's Tips on preparing all meals
- Information on the basic principles of food presentation and garnishes
- Comprehensive chapter on weight management, including obesity statistics in the United States, and information on weight loss drugs and surgery
- An updated Nutrition Web Explorer with specific food and nutrition related information from selected website sources
- Practical appendices including a listing of nutritive values of common foods consumed in the U.S., Dietary Reference Intakes for individuals by age, and growth charts from birth to 20 years