Feature-rich, fast, and free — what's not to love about Linux?
You're going to love Linux, the open-source operating system that lets you create documents, browse the Web, work with audio and video files, and everything else you need without tossing your wallet out the windows. This easy-to-use guide tells you what you need to know to get a Linux desktop system installed, personalized, and working just for you!
- Start here — if you're new to Linux, learn what it is, how it works, and how to install it on your computer
- Get to know the GNOME — and the KDE®, the two Linux desktops
- Now the fun begins — enjoy music, video, and games; use the GIMP image editor; explore the Internet; and make Skype phone calls
- Got work to do? — use the word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation software suite from OpenOffice.org
- A teeny bit techie — discover how to handle file formats, create and manage user accounts, secure your system, and use virtual servers
Open the book and find:
- What "open source" means and how it works
- When to consider a dual boot installation
- An overview of different Linux distributions
- How to use the Linux filesystem
- Tips for adding software to Linux
- Troubleshooting advice
- How to burn CDs and listen to Internet radio
- Cool Google Gadgets and how to add them to your desktop
Bonus DVD Includes
ISOs of Ubuntu Linux 9.04 and Fedora Core 11 Preview Edition for you to try
Please see the DVD appendix for details and complete system requirements.