- Who was the all-time leading home run hitter in the Negro Leagues?
- What was Nat Turner'srevolt?
- What are the top black-owned companies in the United States today?
- How do you make Hoppin? John?
Now you can find the answers to these questions?and many more?in one remarkable book: The New York Public Library African American Desk Reference. More than a simple encyclopedia, its nineteen fact-packed chapters capture the full sweep of African American history and culture?from ancient West African kingdoms to the present?while also offering a wealth of practical information on everything from business and travel to health and holiday traditions.
This landmark reference taps the resources and expertise of the prestigious Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture of the New York Public Library to provide concise, reliable, and easy-to-find information not found in any other single resource. And in the tradition of the million-copy-selling New York Public Library Desk Reference series, the information is presented in a variety of accessible formats, including charts, timelines, sidebars, reading lists, recipes, glossaries, quotes, and biographical profiles.
The reference provides complete details on a variety of subjects, including:
- History?Timelines of African American history; descriptions of the major slave revolts; key legal decisions; African contributions to the Americas; short histories of black populations throughout the Diaspora; population shifts and migrations; short biographies of all major historical figures
- Business?Lists of top black-owned companies; resources for professionals and entrepreneurs; list of the best companies to work for; career resources; profiles of business leaders
- Politics and Civil Rights?Concise entries on the major political movements?from abolition to Black Power; profiles of movements and organizations; statistics on the African American voter; concise biographies of governmental, political, and civil rights leaders
- Heritage?Information on holidays and celebrations; African American wedding and family traditions: cuisines and recipes from different regions; traditional and contemporary children'sgames; museums, historical sites, and heritage travel destinations
- Education?Profiles of historically black colleges and universities; lists of major scholarships and financial aid; biographies of academic leaders; timeline of historic milestones; information on major fraternities and sororities
- Literature?An overview of literary movements and major works; reading lists of essential books for young readers and adults; directory of African American bookstores, publishers, and literary organizations; brief biographies of notable African American, Caribbean, and African writers
- And much more!
American Legacy - Cornel West
Indispensable...We have no better source for quick and reliable information.