Specialized coverage of asynchronous circuit design for students and practitioners
The field of asynchronous circuit design is growing rapidly in commercial importance as practitioners take advantage of its benefits in terms of power consumption and speed. Whereas existing books on the subject tend to concentrate on modeling, this volume provides balanced coverage of all modern asynchronous design methods. No other available book offers such specialized and much-needed information.
The author begins with a straightforward overview of the subject before introducing the concept of asynchronous communication and describing a methodology for specifying asynchronous designs using VHDL. Asynchronous Circuit Design also features:
* Asynchronous protocols
* Graphical representations used for asynchronous design
* Huffman style synthesis/fundamental-mode design
* Muller style synthesis/speed-independent design
* Techniques for timing analysis and optimization
* Methods for verification of asynchronous circuits
* Asynchronous applications
* Further support material available for download from the Wiley ftp site
References to further self-study material and exercises that test student knowledge are included. Appendixes cover basic set theory and logic and provide VHDL packages for standard simulators. Accessible for both advanced undergraduate and graduate students in electrical engineering courses, practicing designers, and developers in the industry, Asynchronous Circuit Design is the most up-to-date and focused resource in the field.