A practical resource for managers and supervisors in hospitality businesses
In many hospitality establishments, one manager or supervisor is the entire human resources department, making all the hiring and training decisions, often without having a formal human resources background. Filling this knowledge gap, Hospitality Employee Management and Supervision provides both busy professionals and students with a one-stop comprehensive guide to human resources in the hospitality industry.
Rather than taking a theoretical approach, this text provides a hands-on, practical, and applications-based approach. The coverage is divided into four sections: legal considerations, employee selection, employee orientation and training, and communication and motivation.
Each chapter in this lively and engaging text features:
- QuotationsVarious practitioners in the hospitality industry highlight the chapter's focus
- Chapter Objectives and Summaries lay out key concepts and then, at the end of each chapter, review them
- HRM in Action features highlight real-world HRM experiences that relate to the content presented in each chapter
- Tales from the FieldHospitality employees provide accounts of the various challenges they face in the industry
- Ethical DilemmasScenarios from the hospitality industry which emphasize the role ethics plays in every aspect of the hospitality industry
- Practice Quizzes and Chapter Review Questions reinforce student comprehension of key concepts
- Hands-On HRMMini-cases based on real-world situations with discussion questions
- Chapter Key TermsBolded within the chapter and then listed at the end of each chapter with definitions