* Active learning exercises integrated throughout: Case Studies, Stop & Think, On-the-Spot Activities, etc.
* Numerous worked-out examples, many of which have expanded, interactive web versions in which students may participate.
* Emphasis on conceptual understanding as the key to quantitative problem solving.
* Careful attention to use of language, story line, visual imagery, and active reflection as means to student understanding.
* Text supported by extensive author-developed web-based interactive exercises.
* Student-friendly illustrations and design.
* End-of-chapter problem sets that evaluate both qualitative and quantitative understanding.