This book presents the strengths perspective as the unifying framework of the text to bridge the gap between 12-step approaches and harm reduction in addictions treatment. This perspective is applied to the treatment of alcoholism, eating disorders, compulsive gambling, and other addictions. The biopsychosocial framework is the organizing framework for this text. Divided into four parts, Addiction Treatment: A Strengths Perspective is comprised of three core sections that cover the biology, psychology, and social aspects of addiction respectively.
- Offers comprehensive coverage of a range of addictive problems including gambling, alcoholism, eating disorders,cocaine addiction, etc.
- Includes discussion of recent brain research (with illustrations)and pharmacological treatments
- Presents client-centered approaches including the harm reduction model, motivational interviewing
- Provides an analysis of current US drug policies in global context with attention to multicultural and gender/sexual orientation issues
- Describes treatment innovations such as drug courts
- Includes dynamic narratives and lively boxed readings throughout the text
- InfoTrac College Edition can be bundled free with every new copy of this text; this online personal library provides unlimited access for one academic term.
Ferris State University - John Nickisson
I consider the text well written, thorough, comprehensive...timely and pertinent to the present developments in the field of AOD treatment.