This textbook is a comprehensive family practice resource for primary care clinicians. It provides current national practice guidelines that provide the foundational standard of care for practice helping the clinician to deliver high quality primary health care to patients across the lifespan in the outpatient setting. The book features details on physical examination and diagnostic testing, information on health promotion, guidelines of care, dietary information, procedures, national resources for patient use, and patient education handouts all in one resource!
Patient Teaching Sheets are designed to be copied and given to patients. They include important patient education points, written in lay language, and include: description of the problem (diagnosis), cause, prevention, treatment plan including diet medications, activity limitations recommended, and if indicated, instructions on how to apply medications for maximum effectiveness (e.g. instilling eye drops, or applying eye ointments)
New in this edition:
- Completely updated national treatment guidelines
- 21+ new protocols including: ADD/ADHD, Menopause, Migraine, Multiple Schlerosis, Chronic Kidney Disease in Adults, Obesity/Gastric Bypass, New Violence entries (against Children, Older adults; Intrapartner), Amblyopia, Blepharitis, Celiac Disease, Bartholin Cyst, Plantar Fasciitis
- New chapter on Pain Management includes guidelines for acute and chronic pain management and Low Back Pain.
- Completely updated Patient Teaching Sheets including a new entry on anticoagulation Therapy for Patients with AFib
- Consistent presentation of content for each of the 247 disorders ensuring ease of access
- Each diagnosis includes the definition, ICD-9 Code; incidence, pathogenesis, predisposing factors, common complaints, signs/symptoms, subjective data, physical exam & diagnostic tests to perform, differential diagnosis to consider, plan of care including medications and follow-up care.
- Practice Pointers highlight highly important care points
- Individual care considerations provide across the lifespan population care points for pediatric, pregnant and geriatric patients
- Separate section presents procedures commonly performed in primary care settings
- Patient Teaching Sheets are written to be given directly to patients as 'take home' teaching supplements; they are perforated for ease of copying
- Includes routine health maintenance guidelines
- Appendices provide guidelines on special diets, normal lab values, and Sexual Maturity Stages